Monday, January 30, 2023

Another "Catch-up" Blog Post - AirVenture 2022

 Well, as promised, here is the update on AirVenture 2022. 

Bryan got to Camp Scholler first this year, so he roped off an area to save space for all of us.  We tried a new location this year.  We tried the NW corner of a field that was on in the SE part of Camp Scholler.  There is a pic of the area that Bryan roped off:
I pulled my RV in the following day:
We had an even bigger crew this year, than we did last year!  We had about 25 in all.  Not all were able to be there for the entire week, but almost everyone got there for a few days, at least.  This year, my wife and I  had all three daughters with us.  That was awesome!  The oldest daughter even bought her own bumper pull travel trailer earlier in the year and she towed it to Camp Scholler from MT.  She and her 3 dogos made the trip in the travel trailer and it worked out really well for her!  Here she is with her dog, Whiskey,  shortly after arriving:
The weather for AirVenture 2022 was THE BEST weather I have ever seen for the actual days of the show (Mon to Sun).  However, on the Sat before the show started, there was a massive gust front and storm that moved through the area.  Have you ever heard "If the sky turns green, it's going to be a bad storm?"  Well, check this out:
Here is a little video of the approaching storm:
It poured down rain for about 40 minutes!  I am so thankful that there was very little aircraft or other damage.  Sunday, the sun came out and it was breezy - so most of the roads dried out and it wasn't too muddy.  The weather stayed clear, cool and sunny the rest of the week!  Beautiful weather for this year!

Here's a few pics of about 1/2 of the crew this year.  This is on the flightline on Wed night before the night airshow:
And, our immediate family and friends at the "Brown Arch":
When the show opened on Monday, I found a new plane I'd never seen before parked on Boeing Plaza:
Interesting plane, and an interesting mission.  Here's some details:
My "once per week" check of the warbirds ramp netted sightings of this beautiful F7F Tigercat:
And, this Marine Corps version of the same aircraft:
I also found this F4U Corsair:
Beauty:
Here is another 1st for me.  At the daily air show on Sat, a privately owned Mig-29 Fulcrum did a demonstration flight:
Anyone else think this airplane looks a lot like an F15 Eagle? 
The best part of AirVenture, for me, happened after AirVenture 2022.  Dave got me an opportunity to join him and Justin while they were helping EAA get an AirCam (that EAA constructed) certified in the Experimental Category.  This work was happening at the Kermit Weeks Hangar.  Here is the hangar from the flightline side, with the AirCam on the right:
When the AirCam was out flying, I got an opportunity to "wander" around the Kermit Weeks Hangar.  Wow! There are so many fantastic aircraft here!  Remember that F7F Tigercat above?  Well - I had no idea that it was part of the Kermit Weeks collection:
I have seen this Mustang at AirVenture many times:
And, remember that F4U from above?  Again, I didn't know it was part of this collection:
Another view of the F7F Tigercat - what a beautiful airplane:
Here is a 100% authentic restoration of the German Bf-109 Messerschmitt.  I believe this aircraft won several awards:
Beautiful restoration!
They were all carefully put away in the hangar:
Here you can see the Ford Trimotor that the EAA "borrowed" to do the rides at AirVenture this year.  EAA's Trimotor was out of service and not able to fly the "Trimotor Rides" this year.  The maintenance guys were changing tires, brakes and other maintenance work to get it all spiffy-ed up before they gave it back:
Here is EAA's Trimotor that is being worked on and was not able to fly this year:
Thanks to Dave and EAA for the opportunity to check out the Weeks hangar.  What an amazing collection of awesome aircraft!

Sorry, no pics or video of the fireworks or finale this year.  I was on a special mission and not able to take pics or vids those nights.  But, it was still a great as it ever was!

Well, I am getting caught up on my blog updates.  I think I have a few things to share when I made some Prowler parts recently.  Will update on those soon.  Thanks for checking out the blog.  See you next time.

No comments: